lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Term pollution from binary data
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2007 19:17:55 GMT
robert engels wrote:
> I think it would be better to have IndexReaderProperties, and
> IndexWriterProperties.

What methods would these have?

The notion of a termIndexDivisor is specific to a particular IndexReader
implementation, so probably shouldn't be handled by a generic
IndexReaderProperties.  This case is even stronger for things like merge
and deletion policy-specific properties.  We'd like folks who implement
a new policy or a new IndexReader to be able to add new properties
without having to add new methods to IndexReaderProperties.

So if all that's in IndexReaderProperties is generic stuff like
#getInt(String), with nothing IndexReader-specific, then why not use a
generic class like LuceneProperties, with all specific setters and
getters on the classes they're specific to.  Does that make sense?

> Just seems an easier API for maintenance. It is more logical, as it
> keeps related items together.

Without more examples, I don't see this to be the case.  My goal is that
if someone adds a new parameter for a new implementation that's not in
Lucene's core, they should be able to add setters and getters there,
without altering the core, keeping related items together.

Doug