lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Per-field collators
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:09:41 GMT

Hoss wrote on the user list...

> Terms when indexed are allways ordered lexigraphically (using
> Term.compareTo which uses String.compareTo) ... regardless of what
> field
> or language they are in, so "Range Queries" must do their comparisons
> lexigraphically as well.
>
> because all Terms are indexed in one continuous TermEnum, it would be
> fairly imposible to definite different Collators per field at index
> time.

If you were to implement per-field Collators, how would you go about
it?  There's been a long-standing request for KinoSearch to implement
arbitrary sorting.

The conclusion I reached was that you needed to have a dedicated
TermEnum for each field, implying individual term dictionary files
(.tis, .tii).  But maybe there's a better way.

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/