lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael McCandless" <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Exceptions in TestConcurrentMergeScheduler
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2007 09:02:10 GMT
"Michael Busch" <buschmic@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed the following exception in TestConcurrentMergeScheduler:
>
>  [junit] Testsuite: org.apache.lucene.index.TestConcurrentMergeScheduler
>     [junit] Tests run: 4, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 17.765
>     sec
>     [junit] ------------- Standard Error -----------------
>     [junit] Exception in thread "Thread-113"
> org.apache.lucene.index.MergePolicy$MergeException:
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>     [junit] 	at
> org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler$MergeThread.run(ConcurrentMergeScheduler.java:263)
>     [junit] Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
>     [junit] 	at
> org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.mergeInit(IndexWriter.java:2744)
>     [junit] 	at
> org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler$MergeThread.run(ConcurrentMergeScheduler.java:238)
>     [junit] ------------- ---------------- ---------------

I can't get this to happen.  Which OS/hardware are you seeing this on?

It looks like there is a concurrent merge that tried to initialize
itself after its writer had closed.  This is likely during the
"testNoWaitClose" testcase which does iterations where it closes
writer without waiting (forcing an abort of all running merges).  I
think somehow a merge is getting created but not properly aborted...

I will try to find it.

> I ran the test again a couple of times, but didn't see the exception
> again. Also, these exceptions don't let the testcase fail, so even if
> the exceptions occur in the nightly build we probably won't notice it.

Good point.  I can definitely add checking that no exceptions occurred
in these test cases.

But it'd be nice to do this across the board, ie, for any junit test
if one of CMS's threads (or, threads launched elsewhere) hits an
unhandled exception, fail the testcase that's currently running.
I'll dig and see if there's some central way to do this with junit...

Mike