lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doron Cohen <DOR...@il.ibm.com>
Subject Re: setRAMBufferSizeMB vs. setMaxBufferedDocs
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2007 16:36:07 GMT
Hi Mike,

"Michael McCandless" <lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote on 24/09/2007
20:19:31:

> But, we have to be careful for the ParallelReader use case: for this
> case you only want to trigger flushing by doc count (ie, never by
> RAM), right?

I think you mean the case that applications using the ParallelReader need
full control over flushing, so they can do all the tricks with docids,
right?

> It seems like sometimes we want "A or B, whichever comes first"but other
> times either just "A" or just "B".

Is it perhaps more drastic? - some applications need a way to disable some
(or all) auto flush mechanisms? Could a DISABLE_AUTU_FLUSH = -1 be used as
an indication to disable certain flushing? I.e. if passed to setMaxBuffDocs
will disable auto flushing by number of buffered docs, if passed to
setMaxRamBytes would disable that type of flushing, etc.?