lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Ning Li" <ning.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Deprecating IndexModifier
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2007 19:34:50 GMT
On 8/8/07, Yonik Seeley <yonik@apache.org> wrote:
> On 8/8/07, Ning Li <ning.li.li@gmail.com> wrote:
> > But you still think it's worth to be included in IndexWriter, right?
>
> I'm not sure... (unless I'm missing some obvious use-cases).
> If one could get a list of IndexReaders, one could directly use those
> for deletions, right?

This is so that users won't have to close IndexWriter to do such
deletes, flush deletes and re-open IndexWriter to continue adding
documents.

On 8/8/07, Yonik Seeley <yonik@apache.org> wrote:
> To make delete by docid useful, one needs a way to *get* those docids.
> A callback after flush that provided acurrent list of readers for the
> segments would serve.

Maybe this can wait? After LUCENE-847 (factor merge policy), merge
behaviour could be much more controllable and then we'll see whether
such a mechanism is needed.

Ning