lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: TREC Collection, NIST and Lucene
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2007 21:18:06 GMT

On Aug 20, 2007, at 3:01 PM, Dawid Weiss wrote:

> I like it too. And I'm wondering what the response to this will be
> -- it will in a way show if TREC really stands up to their mission,
> won't it?

Obviously, I hope the result is positive, but I don't know if
precluding open source is against their mission.  After all, I do
understand that it takes time and money to create these collections
and that should be valued.  By the same token, it is the Federal
government that is sponsoring the competition and doing a lot of the
work, so it seems one could argue for making a collection that is
free from copyright restrictions so that anyone can participate.  It
is a tricky issue, however, so we can hope for the best.

I will wait a couple more days to solicit comments and then submit it
to the appropriate people at NIST.

-Grant

Grant Ingersoll
http://lucene.grantingersoll.com