lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dawid Weiss <>
Subject Re: TREC Collection, NIST and Lucene
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2007 07:15:02 GMT

It's more of a chicken-and-egg problem I guess; it's the same with E.U. grants
and local science grants over here (Poland) -- the government funds some
projects, but who if not us funds the government? I am a strong believer that
the results of public grants should be open and available for everyone. Maybe
I'm idealistic though.

Fingers crossed it will work out as expected.

> Obviously, I hope the result is positive, but I don't know if precluding
> open source is against their mission.  After all, I do understand that
> it takes time and money to create these collections and that should be
> valued.  By the same token, it is the Federal government that is
> sponsoring the competition and doing a lot of the work, so it seems one
> could argue for making a collection that is free from copyright
> restrictions so that anyone can participate.  It is a tricky issue,
> however, so we can hope for the best.
> I will wait a couple more days to solicit comments and then submit it to
> the appropriate people at NIST.
> -Grant

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: