lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Commit LUCENE-843 (IndexWriter performance gains)
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2007 14:29:44 GMT
On 7/2/07, Michael McCandless <lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> I'd like to commit LUCENE-843.

+1
Awesome job!

> The patch has gone through a number of iterations but the final
> version that's there now (take9) is quite a bit cleaner & simpler than
> the ones leading up to it and I believe ready.
>
> It provides solid indexing performance gains (between 2X-8X), but, it
> is somewhat more complex than the current "single doc per segment"
> approach and it does introduce a change to the index format (only when
> autoCommit=false) whereby multiple segments can share a single set of
> term vector & stored fields files.

I'll miss the elegant single doc approach that's been with us for so
long, but one can't ignore the magnitude of these performance gains.

> Given that it's such a big change I think (?) it's appropriate to ask
> for a vote (only PMC member votes are binding) to make sure we have
> consensus that this is net/net a good change for Lucene.

IMO, there's no need to be that formal.  A simple vote on the dev list
(non-committer votes are welcome and carry weight too), and if there's
a consensus then everything is good.

-Yonik