lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Commit LUCENE-843 (IndexWriter performance gains)
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2007 17:31:10 GMT

On Jul 2, 2007, at 9:35 AM, Michael McCandless wrote:

> Hi,
> I'd like to commit LUCENE-843.
> The patch has gone through a number of iterations but the final
> version that's there now (take9) is quite a bit cleaner & simpler than
> the ones leading up to it and I believe ready.
> It provides solid indexing performance gains (between 2X-8X), but, it
> is somewhat more complex than the current "single doc per segment"
> approach and it does introduce a change to the index format (only when
> autoCommit=false) whereby multiple segments can share a single set of
> term vector & stored fields files.

+0 for now, I will try to review tonight or tomorrow night.  From
what I gather from reading the issue, etc. it sounds great and you
and others have put a lot of hard work into it.  Also, from some
benchmarking I have done, it seems to sit well with the notion of
optimizing merge factor, etc. based on the amount of memory available.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message