lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The JDK 1.5 Can o' Worms
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2007 19:18:28 GMT
Point taken, but not really what I meant.  :-)  I just meant 2.9 will
represent a version of Lucene that is pretty darn good and that would
satisfy the needs of people who just want the default install from
some Linux distribution.  So, I guess I amend my statement, you will
lose out, but that is the nature of software either keep up or be
happy with what you have.  The fact is, there just can't be that much
interest in GCJ otherwise it would be further along than it is, IMO.

Mostly, I see the move as a benefit to contributors/committers which
will flow down to end users, but I do think it benefits our users as
well, especially generics and the performance improvements that can
be had from some capabilities like StringBuilder and the concurrency
package.  Not too mention that I bet there are a fair number of
people out there that have potential contributions in 1.5 that  won't
contribute because they have no interest in backporting to 1.4.  Solr
is a great example.  There are things in Solr that are general enough
to make sense in Lucene core, but perhaps one of the reasons they are
not is b/c it is 1.5.