lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Benchmarking Contrib
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2007 19:27:49 GMT
Interesting question...  I guess we haven't had one contrib depend on
another yet, or at least, I haven't checked to see if we have.

I would presume that the benchmark contrib becomes a dependency of
the library that wants to use it (i.e. Highlighter), but it is
slightly different in that you may want it to be more akin to a test
library than a package library.   That is, people using the
highlighter should not need the benchmark contrib package, but people
developing the highlighter package would need it.  Thus, you will
need to make sure it gets built first.

You could just put your Tasks under test, as you are using them to
test/gauge performance.  I don't think it is required that test only
holds JUnits.

Cheers,
Grant

On Jul 5, 2007, at 1:23 PM, Mark Miller wrote:

> Has anyone given any thought to allowing the benchmark suite to
> work with
> contrib code?
>
> I just started playing with the benchmark contrib last night so
> that I could
> use it to gauge the performance of some Highlighter changes.
>
> Has someone else done something similar with another contrib package?
>
> As a quick-fix to get my Highlight task working, I just changed the
> build.xml by putting <pathelement location="$
> {benchmark.ext.classpath}"/> in
> the classpath (it is now just in the run.classpath) and launched the
> benchmark with benchmark.ext property pointing to the highlighter
> build dir.
> Without this, I could of course run the compiled code, but I couldn't
> compile the HighlightTask.
>
> Anyone familiar with the benchmark package think this is the best
> way to go
> (frankly, I don't like it)? Or maybe recommend another path? Maybe
> I am just
> approaching this wrong?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Mark