lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <>
Subject Re: The JDK 1.5 Can o' Worms
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2007 23:00:44 GMT

On Jul 24, 2007, at 6:26 PM, Bill Janssen wrote:

> Grant Ingersoll writes:
>> I also believe all committers and
>> all contributors are using 1.5 already for there environment.  I
>> would also _guess_ the large majority of our users are on 1.5.   Now,
>> I know, it isn't a big deal to run 1.4 code in 1.5, but it is
>> annoying for development and that is a big enough motivator for me.
> The big issue wasn't whether developers and application users were
> using Sun's Java 1.5, it was gcj and where it was.  Several of the
> downstream packages of Lucene involves gcj instead of Sun Java,
> because gcj provides different functionality.  I believe that any 1.5
> features used in Lucene should be carefully chosen to be compatible
> with stable versions of gcj, so that PyLucene, for instance, will be
> able to use it.

But can't you still just use the 1.4 version and backport changes? I
am going to guess that GCJ will always be significantly behind Sun's
Java, so PyLucene will always have this problem, but at some point
Lucene Java should move forward.  If GCJ can't have a compatible
version of 1.5 out after 3 years, then when will it?  As I said
before, people who can't migrate, can stay on the 2.9.  It will be
fast and pretty darn stable, so you won't lose that much.  I would
even support accepting and applying patches to that branch, given
support from some committer.

I think if we are going to say we support 1.5 then we say we support
1.5, not some restricted subset of it.  It will be way to hard to
make sure potential contributors know what 1.5 features are available
and what ones are not.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message