lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The JDK 1.5 Can o' Worms
Date Fri, 27 Jul 2007 00:22:15 GMT

On Jul 25, 2007, at 9:58 PM, Bill Janssen wrote:

>> Frankly, I am amazed at the pace of GCJ, but it is hard to imagine
>> that
>> with so much free code out there doing what they need, that it could
>> take much longer to get 1.5 support.
>
> Just guessing, but could it be that the features in 1.5 and 1.6 are
> just not compelling enough to motivate many contributors to add them
> to gcj?  Or maybe the plethora of various FOSS Java VMs is confusing
> the issue.

Well, obviously Sun felt there reasons to release them...   But
really, there are enough features to motivate me and, I believe, a
number of other Lucene contributors, which is more compelling

>> If they don't have Java 1.5 support in another 6-12 months (with
>> so many
>> shortcuts available), why let such a laggard in the java community
>> hold
>> back Lucene?
>
> Presumably because what's being done with gcj and Lucene is also an
> important use of Lucene that the Lucene developers don't wish to
> gratuitously cripple.
>
>> And if they are going to support Java 1.5 within the next
>> 6-18 months, what is so bad about a short gap time where you are
>> stuck
>> with Lucene 2.9? No one seems so upset at being stuck with Java
>> 1.4 for
>> years -- will there really be an uproar if some legacy systems
>> need to
>> stay with 2.9 for 6 months? It would be sad to expect that Java
>> 1.5 will
>> not be coming to GCJ soon.
>
> And it would seem to be poor engineering, given the past history of
> gcj development, to predict a time-frame for the emergence of full 1.5
> support.

Right, I do feel the GCJ pain and I wish we could keep everyone
happy, but I just think it is time to move upwards and onwards.

-Grant