lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Author Tags
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2007 22:21:41 GMT
Solr just suggested (http://www.mail-archive.com/solr-
dev@lucene.apache.org/msg04883.html) that they remove Author tags for
a variety of good reasons.  What do people think of doing this in
Lucene Java?

The ASF seems to discourage them, but ultimately leaves it up to the
PMC (which, to my knowledge, hasn't made an official statement on).
I don't think they belong in core, but could understand an argument
for them being in contrib files since they are often the work of one
or two people (not in all cases, though).  I also want to make sure
we give proper credit to people (which I think we do via CHANGES.txt,
but perhaps others would like some other credit system)

I don't feel particularly compelled to remove them (I think my search
for @author turned up 500+ matches) at the moment, but I think we
should discourage putting them in going forward and we can remove
them as we come across them.  Of course, removing them all at once
isn't that hard either.

Anyone have any preference?

-Grant