lucene-dev mailing list archives

From eks dev <eks...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Post mortem kudos for (LUCENE-843) :)
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2007 14:56:48 GMT

>OK, this is a good datapoint.  It sound like one has to test in their
>own environment to find the optimal performance / RAM usage tradeoff.

Absolutely! Especially when you are trying to find max RAM for buffers, sooner or later you
hit gc(), and this is 100% environment dependant and has nothing to do with Lucene, would
happen with anything.

What was our problem in the first setup is that we reached maximum much, much earlier at 32Mb
(so, no gc() or other environment effects were kicking in, this was something to do with wrongly
set  maxBufferedDocs, but I do not understand it enough to say exactly what)