lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: [OT, slightly] Some interesting metrics on Lucene
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2007 03:56:33 GMT
Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> http://www.ohloh.net/projects/3564 has some interesting metrics on
> Lucene (and Solr and Nutch).  Most interesting is that they estimate
> it is 34 person years to develop at a cost of approximately $1.8
> million dollars (using a salary of $55k)

before you get too excited, it estimates that Apache Labs (which is a
sandbox where people try things out) is worth $2.5m
http://www.ohloh.net/projects/6271

FWIW.. I think the brand value of 'lucene' is worth at least 5-10x (if
not more) what ohloh thinks it is.
not to mention the amount of unseen development time corporates have
done around lucene, and the amount of revenue which depends on lucene
working correctly.

--Ian