lucene-dev mailing list archives

From DM Smith <dmsmith...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Migrate Lucene to JDK 1.5 for 3.0 release
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2007 12:18:32 GMT
+1 from me, too. Not because I have a vote or that I am for going to
1.5, but because it is inevitable and this is a well thought out,
fine plan. (excepting the aggressive timeline that has been hashed
out already in this thread)

I'd like to point out that there is a consequence of this plan and
how Lucene has done things in the past.

At 1.9 it was fully compatible with 1.4.3, with deprecations. 2.0
mostly had deprecations removed and a few bug fixes. Then the 2.x
series has been backwardly compatible but not with 1.x (except being
able to read prior indexes, perhaps a few other things.).

If we continue that same pattern, then there will be no 1.5 features
in 2.9. (Otherwise it won't compile under 1.4). Thus, 3.0 will have a
1.4.2 compatible interface. And except for new classes, new methods
and compile equivalent features (such as Enums), 1.5 features won't
appear in the 3.x series API.

I think it is very important to preserve the Lucene API where
possible and reasonable, not changing it without gain. Given that
this has been the practice, I don't think it is an issue.

-- DM Smith