lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael McCandless" <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: ant jar-core is slow
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2007 19:02:29 GMT
"Chris Hostetter" <hossman_lucene@fucit.org> wrote:
> : which references this "metainf.includes" patternset:
> :
> :   <patternset id="metainf.includes">
> :     <exclude name="**/*"/>
> :   </patternset>
> :
> : Does this rule just exclude everything?  (I'm not very familiar w/ the
> : syntax here).  EG I don't see anything besides LICENSE.txt and
> NOTICE.txt
> : and MANIFEST.MF under the "META-INF" dir in the released 2.2.0 core
> JAR, so
> : it seems like this rule isn't doing anything?
>
> that's the patternset as defined in common-build.xml, but it can be
> overridden in the individual build files -- it looks like it was put in
> place for the snowball contirb...
>
> chrish@asimov:~/svn/lucene-clean$ find contrib -name \*.xml | xargs grep
> -A3 metainf.includes
> contrib/snowball/build.xml:  <patternset id="metainf.includes">
> contrib/snowball/build.xml-    <include name="SNOWBALL-LICENSE.txt"/>
> contrib/snowball/build.xml-  </patternset>
> contrib/snowball/build.xml-

Ahhh, OK.

> ...we could eliminate that patternset and change the jarify macro to take
> in nested element instead, but before trying that i'm curious: does
> adding...
>    <exclude name="*" />
> ..do the default patternset improve the performance?

That doesn't seem to change things.  However, this seems to
successfully match nothing without taking a long time doing so :)

  <patternset id="metainf.includes">
    <include name="FIND_NOTHING"/>
  </patternset>

And building in contrib/snowball successfully includes its
SNOWBALL-LICENSE.txt.

> (i'm not actaully sure how to tell which files ant walks so i haven't
> tried it myself)

I'm just using "strace ant jar-core" (on Linux) and watching all the
system calls that happen.

Mike