lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael McCandless" <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Lucene 2.2.0 release available
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2007 17:29:13 GMT

One small change that I think we should make under "Lucene News" on
the web site is to change the name "Point-in-time searching" (this is
LUCENE-710 right?).

Lucene has always had this feature.  It's just that the implementation
previously relied on the specifics of how the underlying filesystem
handles deletion of open files.  Windows and UNIX have the "right"
semantics but NFS (and maybe others) doesn't.

LUCENE-710 just enables you to make your own "custom deletion policy"
which would then allow an application to do "point in time" searching
over NFS, live backups, etc.

Maybe we should change this to "point in time searching over NFS" or
"custom index deletion policies" instead?

Mike