lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andi Vajda <va...@osafoundation.org>
Subject Re: addIndexes()
Date Thu, 31 May 2007 17:09:52 GMT

On Thu, 31 May 2007, Doug Cutting wrote:

> Steven Parkes wrote:
>> Is there any particular reason that the version that takes a Directory[]
>> optimizes first?
>
> There was, but unfortunately I can't recall it now.  Index merging has
> changed substantially since then, so, whatever it was, it may no longer
> apply.  If no one can think of a good reason to optimize any longer, then
> probably we should remove it, no?

No longer optimizing on this call would impact performance in what I'm doing.
My usage pattern involves indexing in a MemoryIndex and adding that index to
an index backed by a DbDirectory. If the index is not optimized first, the
operation becomes very noisy in the database.

In other words, if that change is made, please let us know so that I can adapt
my code to explicitely optimize the MemoryIndex first.

Thanks !

Andi..