lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andi Vajda <>
Subject Re: Tests, Contribs, and Releases
Date Sat, 19 May 2007 18:38:37 GMT

On Sat, 19 May 2007, Sean Timm wrote:

> Andi Vajda wrote on 5/18/2007, 9:50 PM:
> > As the maintainer of the contrib/db tree, I should point out that indeed,
> > the bdb part depends on a C release of Sleepycat's (now Oracle)
> > Berkeley DB.
> Would it make sense to migrate to the BDB Java Edition?

Under contrib/db there already are two directories, one for the Java Edition
under bdb-je and one for the C Edition under bdb.

The bdb contrib was written first, before there even was such a thing as the
Berkeley DB Java Edition. The bdb-je contrib was added later. Both contribs
are maintained. I am the maintainer for both although the coding for the
bdb-je contrib is done by its original author, I just commit his changes.

Both contribs have their purpose. If your project is 100% Java, the BDB Java
Edition should be fine. If your project is not a Java project however, and
its use of Java is just a side-effect of Lucene being written in Java then the
C edition of Berkeley DB is needed.

For example, I use the bdb contrib with PyLucene, a Python wrapper for Lucene
[1], and I share bdb handles and transactions between Lucene and PyLucene in
Chandler, a C Python project [2].

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message