lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andi Vajda <va...@osafoundation.org>
Subject Re: Tests, Contribs, and Releases
Date Sat, 19 May 2007 01:50:24 GMT

On Fri, 18 May 2007, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> : +1 for renaming the 'test' target to 'test-core', and adding a 'test'
> : target that depends on 'test-core' and 'test-contrib'.  That's what
> : other projects tend to do.
>
> This proved a little tricker then i originally thought, but i've got it
> working (it even runs all tests on all contribs before failing so the
> generate-test-reports task is useful for the whole proejct)
>
> Feedback would be appreciated...
>   http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-885
>
> ...the issue of what to do about contrib/db/bdbd's native library
> dependencies should definitely be discussed.

As the maintainer of the contrib/db tree, I should point out that indeed,
the bdb part depends on a C release of Sleepycat's (now Oracle) Berkeley DB.

That software is open source and can be downloaded in source form at no cost
by anyone from [1]. Since it's a native library, it would be rather onerous to
have pre-compiled, auto-downloadable, binary versions of this library
available for every platform under the sun.

I do provide a downloadable .jar file for the Java/C interface. That file is
auto-downloaded by the contrib's ant script from an OSAF server [2]. This
allows the bdb contrib module to build for everyone. To run tests though, a
functioning install of Berkeley DB is required.

If it's practical to install a live version of Berkeley DB on the Lucene build
bot machines, I'd have no objections in doing so. All I need is ssh access and
a C compiler. If the build bot machine(s) is/are Linux, I believe there should
be up to date binary packages for Berkeley DB 4.3.29 or 4.4.20 available for
installation as well.

Andi..

[1] http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/berkeley-db/db/index.html
[2] http://downloads.osafoundation.org/db/db-4.4.20.jar