lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doron Cohen <DOR...@il.ibm.com>
Subject Re: future releases: Append Function for Indexing
Date Sat, 05 May 2007 18:49:42 GMT
> read each document from the db
> add the field
> search lucene based on the UID
> remove document from lucene based on UID
> build new lucene document that has only indexed fields and the UID
> add lucene document
>
> There are some newer Lucene 2+ features that might make this process
> faster, but I am not intimately familiar with them. Someone else
> might be able to elaborate.

IndexWriter.updateDocument(Term term, Document doc [,Analyzer a])
could simplify this to:
  - create updated document from the db
  - writer.updateDocument(idField, updatedDocument)

But regarding the original question, here still update==remove+add, ie no
"append/update-in-place" logic is supported (or planned).