lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doron Cohen <DOR...@il.ibm.com>
Subject RE: IndexWriter shutdown
Date Wed, 23 May 2007 16:51:44 GMT
Michael McCandless wrote on 23/May/2007:

> Actually if autoCommit=true then the only choice is to keep
> the partial work.  In this mode, optimize indeed goes in
> "stages" (merging mergeFactor segments at a time) and after
> each stage it commits a new segments_N file and removes the
> now-merged segments.  Of course if it's a smallish index
> (<= mergeFactor segments) then there is only 1
> stage anyway.
>
> If autoCommit=false, then I think the index should rollback
> to the state when the IndexWriter was opened.  This is the
> point of autoCommit=false: either all or none of the changes
> made during the lifetime of the IndexWriter instance
> "make it" into the index.

Just to clarify - so this would just "happen by itself", because
(if autoCommit is implemented as I think), the new Segments_N
file is written only upon a completed commit. So whenever we
stop due to shutdown, fully committed merges are already saved,
interrupted ones are "lost" (as expected). Right?