lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Token/Payload API
Date Fri, 11 May 2007 22:47:50 GMT

On May 11, 2007, at 4:31 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:

> I hadn't kept up with the payload discussion/patch, and just got
> around to looking at Token.
>
> public class Token implements Cloneable {
>  String termText;				  // the text of the term
>  int startOffset;				  // start in source text
>  int endOffset;				  // end in source text
>  String type = "word";				  // lexical type
>
>  Payload payload;
>

> It almost feels like we are going down the road of Field, adding more
> and more to the base class instead of using some other mechanism like
> inheritance.

So PayloadToken would be more inline with what you are thinking?
Then there becomes the need to do instanceof to determine when you
have payloads?

> A bigger problem, however, is that payloads will be lost by filters
> that aren't payload aware, and create new Tokens.  We had the same
> problem with position increments being lost.
>
> For this latter problem, I think the answer is to *not* create new
> tokens, and make all the properties of Token settable.

This seems reasonable.  I never quite understood the need to create
new tokens.  The other option may be to use a copy constructor, but
again, that seems wasteful.