lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Smith <psm...@aconex.com>
Subject Re: Tests, Contribs, and Releases
Date Wed, 16 May 2007 22:07:20 GMT
Does Lucene have a gump run descriptor?  That's quite useful for
tracking this sort of thing too.  It's very good at nagging! :)

The standard maven assembly packaging runs the unit tests by default
too.  Changing the lucene build system to maven is not something
you'd want to jump at without careful thought , but might be worth
considering.  I used to be anti-maven, but since version 2, and since
Curt Arnold has been setting up the log4j build environment for
maven, I've been quite impressed with it's capability.

cheers,

Paul Smith

On 17/05/2007, at 8:02 AM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> Hey everybody, this thread has been sitting in my inbox for a while
> waiting for me to have a few minutes to look into it...
>
> http://www.nabble.com/Packaging-Lucene-2.1.0-for-Debian--found-2-
> junit-errors-tf3571676.html
>
> In a nutshell, when a guy from Debian went looking to package
> Lucene he
> noticed that the official 2.1.0 release contained 2 test failures
> -- one
> each in the highlighter and spellchecker contribs.
>
> The specifics of the test failures don't really interest me as much
> as the
> question: how did we manage to have a release with test failures?
>
> A few things have jumped out at me while looking into this...
>
> 1) the task "build-contrib" can be used to walk the contrib directory
>    building each contrib, the task "test-contrib" can be used to
> walk the
>    contrib directory testing each contrib.
> 2) the "test" task only tests the lucene-core ... it does not
> depend on
>    (or call) "test-contrib"
> 3) The "nightly" build task depends on the "test" and "package-tgz"
> task
>    (which depends on "build-contrib") but at no point is "test-
> contrib"
>    run.
> 4) The steps for creating an official release...
>       http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ReleaseTodo
>    ...specify using the "dist" and
>    "dist-src" tasks -- neither of which depend on *ANY* tests being
> run
>    (let alone contrib tests)
>
> This seems very strange to me ... i would think that we would want:
>
>   a) nightly builds to run the tests for all contribs, ala...
>      <target name="nightly" depends="test, build-contrib, test-
> contrib, package-tgz">
>   b) the release insctructions to make it clear that all unit tests
> (core
>      and contrib) should be run prior to creating teh distribution.
>

> Does anyone see any reason not to make these changes?
>

> -Hoss

Paul Smith
Core Engineering Manager

Aconex
The easy way to save time and money on your project

696 Bourke Street, Melbourne,
VIC 3000, Australia
Tel: +61 3 9240 0200  Fax: +61 3 9240 0299
Email: psmith@aconex.com  www.aconex.com

This email and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee.
The contents may be privileged, confidential and/or subject to
copyright or other applicable law. No confidentiality or privilege is
lost by an erroneous transmission. If you have received this e-mail
in error, please let us know by reply e-mail and delete or destroy
this mail and all copies. If you are not the intended recipient of
this message you must not disseminate, copy or take any action in
reliance on it. The sender takes no responsibility for the effect of
this message upon the recipient's computer system.