lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Documentation Brainstorming
Date Thu, 31 May 2007 17:16:05 GMT
Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>> I'd rather see each jar get its own javadoc,
>> or at the very least, indicate which jar each
>> class is defined in for the ones that aren't
>> part of the core.
>>

> Yeah, I don't like that all the contribs are built in together.  What do
> others think?  I would vote for separating them out.

I like the single javadoc build.  The linking is nice, e.g., all
Analyzer implementations are linked from Analyzer.  It also makes it
easier for folks to see everything that's included in the release in one
place.

Perhaps the names of the sections should be the name of the jar file,
and/or the summary sentence in the package.html for contrib packages
should name the jar file.  Would that suffice?

However if most folks really wish to split things, then some new
navigational pages are required to provide a home for the various
javadocs.  Ideally this would provide the level of integration that,
e.g., Ant's optional tasks have with Ant's core tasks: when browsing
core tasks there's always a link to optional tasks, and vice-versa, so
the optional stuff is always just a single click away.  Putting contrib
and core javadoc together achieves this.  Achieving it with separate
javadocs will be harder.

Doug