lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Bowesman <...@teamware.com>
Subject Re: Documentation Brainstorming
Date Mon, 28 May 2007 07:50:44 GMT
Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> Mind you, our docs are an order of magnitude better than
> this other project

I agree, Lucene is a very well documented project compared to many.  In general
and in conjunction with LIA, it's a pretty easy project to get in to.

> 3.  There is a whole lot of knowledge stored in the email archives, how
> can we leverage it?

This is indeed a key point.  HitCollector and surrounding classes are poorly
documented and there have been many replies to questions which recommend using a
HitCollector.

The search package is generally well described, apart from what are described as
'low level API' or 'expert' methods and classes.  I found I needed to get to
that level to get the best out of Lucene in a framework that sits on top of it.

Performance is another topic which would really benefit from a 'best practice'
guide.  The dev and user posts concerning performance always get many responses.
  Although a challenge to produce, bringing together some kind of
recommendations which relate user data to reader/writer usage, e.g. what
maxBufferedDocs, maxMergeDocs, mergeFactor to use with a number of different
usage scenarios would be great, although there's no substitute for evaluating
that with your own data.

A definitive statement about 'optimize' and when (not) to use it and what its
relationship with performance is.  I know there's lots about it already, but
it's dotted all over the place.

Maybe this sort of information would be better in LIA2...
Antony