lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: Various Ideas from ApacheCon
Date Mon, 07 May 2007 22:50:36 GMT
Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> 2. How does Lucene search compare w/ using built in DB search? Has
> anyone done a study comparing Lucene performance/quality to the likes
> of MySQL/Postgres/Oracle?  Related question is always on how to
> integrate the two.

Hi Grant.

when we initially investigated using lucene at a previous company I
worked for, we went into this in a great deal.

To summarize the results (I don't have access to the slides/report now).
lucene/solr had better functionality/quality results for unstructured
searching than mysql did at the time. (speed was comparable, and was not
a deciding factor)
for structured-data searches we found mysql did a better job.

on how to integrate the two? in the ingestion phase you would emit 2
updates to two separate sources. The developer could then choose which
search service (structured or unstructured) best suited their needs and
use that. (and do any joins required on the client side).

regards
Ian