lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Nightly javadocs not being updated?
Date Mon, 07 May 2007 16:21:56 GMT
Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>> I'm confused ... why only copy the forrest generated files and not the
>> javadoc generated files? ... i thought the plan was to rely on real flat
>> files on lucene.apache.org to keep the URLs nice and clean and protect
>> ourselves against the possibility of Hudson (or the whole lucene zone)
>> being down?
>>
>> http://www.nabble.com/Lucene-nightly-build-failure-tf3489583.html#a9875495
>
> Yes, that is the plan.  Now it needs to be implemented.

I don't see that nightly builds need to be on lucene.apache.org.
lucene.zones.apache.org is a fine host for such build artifacts.  No one
should rely on nightly builds.  These are not releases, and, for legal
reasons, we should not not make them look like releases.

> I don't know
> about the whole Hudson thing anymore, as I'm not sure it is adding much
> value over just running the script.  I'm tending to think we should just
> revert back to the script and the old way of storing builds, etc..  The
> only thing about the script I would like to see changed is it to be
> refactored into smaller scripts that can be run/tested separately.

One nice thing that Hudson does is make sure that we're not running
multiple builds at once in the zone, which has caused problems in the
past.  Hudson also has lots of bells and whistles that Lucene Java is
not yet using, like: automatically testing patches as they're submitted
and adding a comment to Jira indicating whether they've passed; listing
new Jira issues incorporated in each nightly build; full log output
available over the web to help diagnose failures; etc.

Doug