lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Steven Parkes" <steven_par...@esseff.org>
Subject RE: addIndexes()
Date Thu, 31 May 2007 22:33:22 GMT
Hmmm ... something's not meshing for me here.

If I understood what you've said, you have a DbD index to which you are
addIndexes'ing a memory index? I must have missed something, because
addIndexes pre- and post-optimizes the target (Dbd) index, not the
operand (mem) index.

-----Original Message-----
From: Andi Vajda [mailto:vajda@osafoundation.org]
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2007 10:10 AM
To: java-dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: addIndexes()

On Thu, 31 May 2007, Doug Cutting wrote:

> Steven Parkes wrote:
>> Is there any particular reason that the version that takes a
Directory[]
>> optimizes first?
>
> There was, but unfortunately I can't recall it now.  Index merging has

> changed substantially since then, so, whatever it was, it may no
longer
> apply.  If no one can think of a good reason to optimize any longer,
then
> probably we should remove it, no?

No longer optimizing on this call would impact performance in what I'm
doing.
My usage pattern involves indexing in a MemoryIndex and adding that
index to
an index backed by a DbDirectory. If the index is not optimized first,
the
operation becomes very noisy in the database.

In other words, if that change is made, please let us know so that I can
adapt
my code to explicitely optimize the MemoryIndex first.

Thanks !

Andi..