lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Steven Parkes" <steven_par...@esseff.org>
Subject RE: IndexWriter shutdown
Date Thu, 24 May 2007 01:35:43 GMT
> Or instead of "shutdown" it's more of a "interrupt the
> merge if it's in progress" which then doesn't prevent further IO?

At a high level, this would seem like the most valuable approach. But I
think we would want to distinguish between writing new documents and
merges of existing segments. The way things stand, that means that the
merges from the ram segments onto disk should not be interruptible,
though disk to disk merges should be.

It does sound a little more complicated, but it might still not be too
messy. Especially given that the way things are looking, that the merge
from ram segments to disk is going to go away/be handled differently
than disk to disk anyway.