lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Elschot <paul.elsc...@xs4all.nl>
Subject Re: Tests, Contribs, and Releases
Date Sat, 19 May 2007 08:19:23 GMT
On Friday 18 May 2007 18:52, Doug Cutting wrote:

> Paul Elschot wrote:
> > When a contrib fails and is not fixed, that might be a good reason to
> > remove it from the distribution. With such a policy the present contribs
would
> > also stay up to date, provided their tests are good enough.
> > Thinking about it a bit more, there is a process to add contribs, but
there
> > is not really a process to remove them. The policy of removing a contrib
> > before a release when its unit tests fail could make a nice fit for that.
>
> I think what you're arguing is that, unlike the core, contrib is not
> guaranteed to be back-compatible (since removing a module is not a
> back-compatible change).  Otherwise this is no different than other bugs
> and code changes.  If a contrib package is failing tests or breaking the
> build, then we should file an issue in Jira.  One potential patch is to
> remove the package (since incompatible changes are permitted in
> contrib).  That can be proposed, and if no one with a binding vote
> objects, it can happen.  We shouldn't release with unresolved issues,
> whether they involve contrib or core.  Does that sound reasonable?

Yes.
The idea is roughly to give interested people enough time to fix
a contrib when some of its tests fail. In case no fix is made
available, one can reasonably conclude that there is no more
interest, so removing the contrib can be considered.
An impending release is a good moment for that.

Btw. this presupposes that the contrib unit tests are good enough
from the start, and except for contrib/surround I don't know about
that.
Good enough means that such tests implicitly verify all of
the lucene core library that the contrib can be expected to
normally use.
As long as they pass, such contrib tests are also a good motivation
to keep the contrib close to the core.

I had not considered contribs that depend things other than the
lucene core, but discussion on that has already started.

Regards,
Paul Elschot