lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Smith <psm...@aconex.com>
Subject Re: Large scale sorting
Date Mon, 09 Apr 2007 22:52:06 GMT

> In our application, we have to sync up the index pretty frequently,
> the
> warm-up of the index is killing it.

Yep, it speeds up the first sort, but at the cost of making all the
others slower (maybe significantly so).  That's obviously not ideal
but could make use of sorts in larger indexes practical.

> To address your concern about single sort locale, what about
> creating a sort
> field for each sort locale? So, if you have, say, 10 locales, you
> will have
> 10 sort fields, each utilizing the mechanism of constructing the
> norms.

I really don't understand norms properly so I'm not sure exactly how
that would help.  I'll have to go over your original email again to
understand.

My main goal is to get some discussion going amongst the community,
which hopefully we've kicked along.

Paul