lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Commit and Review (was "Is Lucene Java trunk still stable for production code?")
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2007 18:16:35 GMT
I don't think anyone followed-up on this.  I think I prefer our current approach, where contributors
provide patches, everyone is free to review and comment on them, and commiters finally commit
it.  Feels a bit slower than commit first, review second, but I think that makes it easier
to control the quality of the code that goes in.  There seems to be enough momentum/active
developers that even with the current patch first approach we could release more often.

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org>
To: java-dev@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2007 12:02:55 PM
Subject: Commit and Review (was "Is Lucene Java trunk still stable for production code?")

Hoss wrote:
 > (or in short: we're moving more towards a *true* commit and review
model)

I'm curious as to what you think are the practical implications are
for committers for this model?  Do you imagine a change in the
workflow whereby we commit and then review or do we stick to the
patch approach as committers (contributors will always submit
patches)?  It has always been a gray area, where we all kind of know
what we can commit w/o creating patches for versus what we should put
up patches for.   Just curious, I'm working on the payloads stuff and
I know that as long as it compiles, it isn't going to break anything,
so in some sense I could commit b/c I know it would make it easier
for Michael B. and others to update and review w/o going through the
patch process.  On the other hand, the patch approach makes you take
one extra good look at what you are doing.

What do others think?

-Grant