lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lucene Branding: the TLP, and "Lucene Java"
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2007 01:13:36 GMT
No, you are not the only one...  Many a sleepless night spent on
it...  :-)

I usually try to refer to it as Lucene Java, but old habits die hard
and often times I just call it Lucene.  I think the name has a good
brand at this point and is very strongly associated w/ the Java
library.  I seem to recall when they were forming the TLP, that the
original proposal was search.a.o, but then changed b/c the ASF didn't
like generic names (or at least that is how I recall it.)  And, of
course, with Hadoop and the potential for Tika/Lius, it isn't just
search anymore.  I have often thought about an Apache "Text" project,
that could eventually hold a whole family of text based tools like
Lucene, Tika, Hadoop, Solr, etc. plus things like part of speech
taggers, clustering/classification algorithms, UIMA, etc. all under
one roof.  But that is just my two cents and I don't know if it fits
with what other people have in mind.  There are a lot of OSS tools
out there for these things, but none bring together a whole suite
under a brand like Apache.

-Grant

On Apr 10, 2007, at 8:41 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> I was motivated to start this thread by LUCENE-860, but it's been
> in the
> back of my mind for a while.
>
> As the Lucene Top Level Project grows and get's more Sub-Projects, I
> (personally) have been finding it hard in email/documentation/
> discussion
> to clarify when people are refering to the "Lucene" Top Level Project
> versus the "Lucene" java project.  I can't help but wonder if the TLP
> should have a different name, or if "Lucene Java" should taken on a
> more
> specific name that doesn't just sound like a name followed a
> langauge --
> ie: JLucene, LuceneJ ... anything that makes it more clear that
> when the
> word "Lucene" is used it's talking about the broder Top Level project
> address all aspects of OSS Search Software.
>
> Am I the only one that wonders about this as time goes on?
>
> -Hoss

Grant Ingersoll
Center for Natural Language Processing
http://www.cnlp.org