lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Smith <>
Subject Re: Large scale sorting
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2007 01:02:32 GMT
> A memory saving optimization would be to not load the corresponding
> String[] in the string index (as discussed previously), but there is
> currently no way to tell the FieldCachethat the strings are unneeded.
> The String values are only needed for merging results in a
> MultiSearcher.

Yep, which happens all the time for us specifically, because we have
an 'archive' and 'week' index. the week index is merged once per
week, so the search is always a merged sort across the 2. (the week
index is reloaded every 5 seconds or so, the archive index is kept in
memory once loaded).

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message