lucene-dev mailing list archives

From DM Smith <dmsmith...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: whitespace
Date Sun, 25 Mar 2007 20:06:24 GMT
Just my 2 cents.

I think it is good to use tooling to establish a whitespace standard
for new files. For example, Eclipse has extensive formating and one
of the declared styles is Sun's. Checkstyle is also good at creating
a report of deviations from a defined standard. And it can be readily
be incorporated into an Ant build.

I have not found tooling that is sufficient for every case, so in
those cases, I think one should be deliberate in making the code more
readable.

For existing code, my preference is that changes follow the existing
style on a file by file basis and no gratuitous changes are made to
existing whitespace, thus minimizing patch changes.

Personally, it does not matter to me what the standard is, but I find
that consistency helps me understand the code more quickly.

With any kind of standard, especially the lack of one, I might use
tooling to put the code in the whitespace format I like, but before
making a patch, return it to what it was, again with tooling.

-- DM Smith