lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Lokeya <lok...@gmail.com>
Date Sat, 17 Mar 2007 05:01:47 GMT

Hi,

I am trying to index the content from XML files which are basically the
metadata collected from a website which have a huge collection of documents.
This metadata xml has control characters which causes errors while trying to
parse using the DOM parser. I tried to use encoding = UTF-8 but looks like
it doesn't cover all the unicode characters and I get error. Also when I
tried to use UTF-16, I am getting Prolog content not allowed here. So my
guess is there is no encoding which is going to cover almost all unicode
characters. So I tried to split my metadata files into small files and
processing records which doesnt throw parsing error.

But by breaking metadata file into smaller files I get, 10,000 xml files per
metadata file. I have 70 metadata files, so altogether it becomes 7,00,000
files. Processing them individually takes really long time using Lucene, my
guess is I/O is time consuming, like opening every small xml file loading in
DOM extracting required data and processing.

Qn  1: Any suggestion to get this indexing time reduced? It would be really
great.

Qn 2 : Am I overlooking something in Lucene with respect to indexing?

Right now 12 metadata files take 10 hrs nearly which is really a long time.

Help Appreciated.

Much Thanks.