lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <grant.ingers...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Flexible indexing
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2007 00:08:46 GMT

On Mar 12, 2007, at 6:54 PM, Michael Busch wrote:

> Marvin Humphrey wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 12, 2007, at 2:11 PM, Michael Busch wrote:
>>
>>> I think our best option here is to have a closed XML file for the
>>> index format/configuration (something like you sent in your other
>>> mail) plus a binary file for custom index-level metadata like
>>> Grant suggested.
>>
>> Why the binary file?
>>
> Well, it's not needed for FI and storing the index configuration.
> Grant mentioned though, that he knows users who would like to have
> such a feature:
>
> Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> > We may also want a binary index-level storage capability.  I know
> most people just create a single document usually to store binary
> info about the index, but an binary storage might be good too.

I'm just thinking there might be info you want to store at the index
level that could be significant and you don't want to write it out in
XML, kind of like we have binary stored fields now.

I can see having storage at:
Document/Field  //already exists
Token

The key to Index and Token storage is that it not effect performance,
either that or it is an alternate implementation.