lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Busch <busch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Flexible indexing
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2007 09:38:17 GMT
Marvin Humphrey wrote:

> It uses global field semantics, which Hoss won't be happy about.  ;)
> However, I'm grateful to Hoss for past critiques, as they've helped me
> to refine and improve how Schema works.  For instance, as of KS
> 0.20_02 you can introduce new field_name => FieldSpec associations to
> KS at any time during indexing.
> It may be that adapting Lucene to use something like what KS uses
> would be too radical a change.  However, I believe that one reason
> that flexible indexing has been in incubation so long is that the
> current mechanism for attaching semantics to field names does not
> scale as well as it might.
>
> For instance, the logical extension of the current FieldInfos system
> is to add booleans as described at
> <http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/FlexibleIndexing>.  However,
> conflict resolution during segment merging is going to present
> challenges.  What happens when in one segment 'content' has freq and
> in another segment it doesn't?  Things are so much easier if the
> posting format, once set, never changes.

I was thinking in the same direction. Global field semantics make our
life with FI much easier in a single index. But even with global field
semantics we would have the same problem with the
IndexWriter.addIndexes() method, no? I'm curious about how you solved
that conflict in KinoSearch? Btw, I like it that you don't force the
user to define all fields up front but rather allow to add fields at any
time. I think if we implement global field semantics in Lucene we should
go the same way.

I'm going to respond in more detail to your other points in this email
tomorrow. I want to read the KinoSearch specs first but it's already
kind of late....

- Michael