lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Busch <>
Subject Re: Flexible indexing
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2007 22:54:01 GMT
Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> On Mar 12, 2007, at 2:11 PM, Michael Busch wrote:
>> I think our best option here is to have a closed XML file for the
>> index format/configuration (something like you sent in your other
>> mail) plus a binary file for custom index-level metadata like Grant
>> suggested.
> Why the binary file?
Well, it's not needed for FI and storing the index configuration. Grant
mentioned though, that he knows users who would like to have such a feature:

Grant Ingersoll wrote:
 > We may also want a binary index-level storage capability.  I know
most people just create a single document usually to store binary info
about the index, but an binary storage might be good too.

>> Btw, I'm not really familiar with YAML. Maybe you could explain
>> briefly why you chose YAML over XML in KinoSearch?
> First, it's more readable.
> Second, it's designed for exactly this purpose.  It's a data
> serialization language.  (YAML officially stands for "YAML ain't
> markup language".)  XML can handle this task, but not as elegantly.
> Third, it's ubiquitous in both the Perl and the Ruby communities. It's
> very close as JSON as well, so anybody who's done Javascript/AJAX
> programming can grok it -- but even if you have no experience with it,
> the fundamentals are easily grasped.  It's got sufficient market
> penetration that it isn't going anywhere, so there's nothing to be
> gained by going with the relatively more-established XML.  It has its
> flaws, chiefly having to do with how it handles very complex data, but
> XML has the same problem, and the kind of data we're talking about is
> pretty simple.
> Last, it's a bit more compact, though that wasn't a major consideration.
Sounds interesting! I will take a closer look at it...

- Michael

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message