lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Busch <busch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Flexible indexing
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2007 21:11:40 GMT
Marvin Humphrey wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2007, at 3:27 PM, Michael Busch wrote:
>
> I'm going to respond to this over several mails (: and possibly days
> :) because there's an awful lot here, and I've already implemented a
> lot of it in KS.
>
>> We should also make this public, so that users can store their own
>> index metadata.
>> (Remark: LUCENE-783 is also a neat idea, we can write one xml parser
>> for both items)
>
> There's a significant downside to allowing users to store arbitrary
> data in an XML index file: you can't use a bare-bones parser,
> hand-coded for a tiny, controlled subset of XML syntax and a limited
> set of data structures.  You'd need a full-on XML encoder/decoder,
> presumably an existing one that would be added as a dependency.
>
> The only reason that the KinoSearch's YAML codec requires only 600
> lines of C is that it's a closed system.  No multi-line strings.  No
> objects.  No nulls.  You get the picture.

That's a good point, Marvin. The parser would be much simpler if we had
no open XML file. I think our best option here is to have a closed XML
file for the index format/configuration (something like you sent in your
other mail) plus a binary file for custom index-level metadata like
Grant suggested.

Btw, I'm not really familiar with YAML. Maybe you could explain briefly
why you chose YAML over XML in KinoSearch?

- Michael