lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Flexible indexing
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2007 23:50:03 GMT

On Mar 12, 2007, at 3:54 PM, Michael Busch wrote:

> Sounds interesting! I will take a closer look at it...

Here's an introduction courtesy of JYaml, a YAML library for Java:

   http://jyaml.sourceforge.net/tutorial.html

For an example of how YAML is well suited to the task of serializing
index metadata, consider how the association of field names to field
numbers in KS's segments file gets expressed:

       field_names:
         - title
         - url
         - content

It's an ordered list, so title is 0, url is 1, and content is 2.  You
can hack ordered lists into XML, but they won't be as clear, terse,
or standard as that.

To be fair, YAML is a lousy markup language.  :)  But we don't need
markup, we need data serialization.

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/