lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Flexible indexing
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2007 19:49:05 GMT

On Mar 10, 2007, at 3:27 PM, Michael Busch wrote:

I'm going to respond to this over several mails (: and possibly
days :) because there's an awful lot here, and I've already
implemented a lot of it in KS.

> We should also make this public, so that users can store their own
> index metadata.
> (Remark: LUCENE-783 is also a neat idea, we can write one xml
> parser for both items)

There's a significant downside to allowing users to store arbitrary
data in an XML index file: you can't use a bare-bones parser, hand-
coded for a tiny, controlled subset of XML syntax and a limited set
of data structures.  You'd need a full-on XML encoder/decoder,
presumably an existing one that would be added as a dependency.

The only reason that the KinoSearch's YAML codec requires only 600
lines of C is that it's a closed system.  No multi-line strings.  No
objects.  No nulls.  You get the picture.

Is there anything you're envisioning that can't be done using a
wrapper class and auxiliary/external files?

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/