lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: NewIndexModifier - - - DeletingIndexWriter
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2007 21:04:55 GMT
On 2/8/07, Michael McCandless <lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> I think the new methods in NewIndexModifier are low-risk to the
> existing IndexWriter, so, we should just add them into IndexWriter and
> not create a new class?  Then we don't have a naming problem anymore :)

The original versions of that patches have been removed, but I was
originally concerned about overhead to the IndexWriter for people who
didn't use that delete functionallity (opening readers, keeping track
of the segment number for adds, etc).

Also, I think the extension points are important since
NewIndexModifier does not (and probably never will be able to) do
everything people need.  There can be very complex ways of identifying
documents to be deleted.  It's also nice knowing when documents in ram
will be flushed to disk... one reason being that it correlates with
document visibility if you open a new reader.

-Yonik