lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: FieldCache documentation/exposure
Date Wed, 28 Feb 2007 23:14:20 GMT

: Guess suggesting to use this in user-list replies would be considered "over
: advertising", but too late at least for
: http://www.nabble.com/Best-way-to-returning-hits-after-search--tf3304485.html

I think the good baseline is to compare it with HitCollector ... it's hte
kind of thing that needs to be well documented, and if a user asks a
question about doing something complex, or more efficiently then the
simple API alows we should certinaly point out that they exist -- as long
as we're clear that using them is non-trivial.

my main point about not advertising was that we shouldn't treat FieldCache
a a "First class class" on package level docs or tutorials the way we do
with Analyzers, IndexSearchers, IndexWriters, Documents, Queries, and
Filters, etc...

http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/api/overview-summary.html#overview_description
http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/api/org/apache/lucene/search/package-summary.html#package_description

-Hoss