lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Maven builds
Date Fri, 16 Feb 2007 23:31:43 GMT

My investigations into maven2 have led me to similar conclusions that
other's seem to have expressed: great tool, looks perfect for people
starting from scratch - solves lots of problems, most of which we've
already solved other ways ... training users to use the maven ways instead
of our existing ways probably isn't worth what little benefit is left.

I think the best idea might be to start by pursuing the maven Antlib
Michael Wechner mentioned, to deal with the fetching dependencies needed
by contribs and publishing release jars to the maven repository -- using a
new pom.xml to declare the project metadata and dependencies (which
according to the docs can be accessed from the build.xml as properties)

that sounds like it would be a good starting point towrads "fixing" some
of the biggest percieved advantages to using maven -- and might serve as a
good gateway to migrating the whole build process later.

: very much agreed, whereas as an alternative one might want to use
:
: ant + http://maven.apache.org/ant-tasks.html
: (maven-artifact-ant-2.0.4-dep.jar)

-Hoss