lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: NewIndexModifier - - - DeletingIndexWriter
Date Fri, 09 Feb 2007 20:54:56 GMT

: > (see above), and it doesn't impact non-deleting uses (which Hoss assures
: > us it won't).

: I agree w/ Hoss: the way NewIndexModifier works, if you don't do any
: deletes then there's no added cost (well, only some if statements) to
: the "addDocument only" case because no readers are opened during the
: flush when there are no deletes.  Maybe the original patch was
: different in this regard?

covering my ass here: i didn't do an extensive investigation into this,
nor did i run any performance tests ... my comments were based solely on a
cursory read of NewIndexModifier.java

(I've never been much of an expert on IndexWriter, and as Yonik can atest:
I'm not very good at spotting potential performacne impacts just by
reading code :)  )

All that said: I trust Michael's judgement regarding IndexWriter far more
then i trust my own, so since he concurs with my speculation, then i think
we're probably ok.

-Hoss