lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Maven builds
Date Thu, 15 Feb 2007 21:40:43 GMT
I think a POM for Lucene core and demo is pretty trivial, since there
are no dependencies,  although I haven't tried Maven 2 yet.  Contrib
modules w/ dependencies is a little bit harder and getting them all
to work together is a bit more on top of that.

We made the switch to Maven 1 at CNLP over two years ago and I can't
say I've ever wanted to go back to writing ANT build files.  We have
completely automated our build/release mechanism (which includes
compilation, jar, SVN tagging, Unit testing, etc., email
announcements, updating bugzilla versions, site publication, etc.)
and I think it is safe to say the whole process would be a lot harder
to do in ANT (not that it couldn't be done).  Just like Solr removes
much of the messiness of setting up Lucene and puts it into config
files, so does Maven when it comes to project mgmt.  For the most
part, the magic is pretty well documented and straightforward to find
(but not always)

So, I'm +1 for seeing experimenting, as Doug suggested.

On Feb 15, 2007, at 4:20 PM, karl wettin wrote:

> 15 feb 2007 kl. 21.24 skrev Yonik Seeley:
>
>> But, it all seems like magic to me... if I want to do something
>> different,
>> even a minor little change, I don't know where to start.  If I
>> want to add an
>> additional compile flag, where does that go??? I have no idea.  To
>> change the
>> behavior (like using Java5 source) I need to google and find the
>> magic
>> incantation.
>
> I felt the same way until I registred the POM schema in my editor.
> As always
> there was a threadshold to pass before getting used to it. Now my
> general
> opinion is that maven(2) is a very mature and highly configurable
> but still
> easy to use build system that takes care of everything for me. I'm
> especially
> fond of the surefire test plugin, the in depth dependency handling
> and how
> it creates the project in my development environment.
>

> --
> karl

Grant Ingersoll
Center for Natural Language Processing